I'm in need of reviews on a.m.o : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1530
autoHideStatusbar is a Firefox,
SeaMonkey, Thunderbird and Flock extension that
hides the status-bar. The status-bar is shown back when hovering a
sensitive zone with the mouse. In Firefox and Flock,
the status-bar can be shown back when a page loads or when hovering a link, according to the preferences. Additionally, a status-bar
icon and/or a toolbar button (not in SeaMonkey) can be used to quick enable/disable.
NOTE: To work in SeaMonkey, autoHideStatusbar requires xsidebar (install it first).
For Firefox, SeaMonkey or Flock, click either
Download below. For Thunderbird, download the extension package and drop it
on Thunderbird's extension manager.
(wavy underlined locales are not 100% up to date.)
Install or Download
The preferences dialog (Firefox/Flock)
The preferences dialog (Thunderbird)
The debug log dialog
The toolbar button
The status-bar icon
autoHideStatusbar translations are hosted at BabelZilla. If you
want to contribute by providing missing locales, feel free to register yourself as a translator at BabelZilla (it's free).
There is a discussion thread
in BabelZilla board too.
I'm currently in need of a Japanese translator.
Huge thanks to:
Q: How to enforce autoHideStatusbar when using Autohide?
A: This can be done by using the following userChrome.css code
and checking "show statusbar" in the Autohide preferences window.
-moz-appearance: statusbar !important;
visibility: collapse !important;
Q: How to move autoHideStatusbar status-bar icon?
A: This can be done by drag-and-drop.
Q: What are the two numeric preferences for "Sensitivity" in the preferences dialog?
A: The first spinner is for the height of the sensitive zone in pixels.
The second one is for the amount of time in milliseconds the sensitive zone needs to be hovered
in order to show back the status-bar.
v0.4 - 0.4.1
- Locales update
- Added: filtering system to auto-disable on specific sites (regexp based), you can remove a filter by double-clicking on it
- Added: keyboard shortcut to show back the statusbar (CTR+Shift+U)
- Bumped maxVersion to 3.0.*
- Fixed: YAHOO.util.Event.addListener('element', 'resize', function); was failing because of AHS
- Added some locales
- update to handle upcoming Seamonkey trunk builds
- Fixed: problem with Sliding Menubar
- CSS Skin code simplification (Thanks ShareBird)
- Fixed: status-bar visibility was not remembered when switching back to normal mode after fullscreen.
- Fixed: Firefox pref panel shown in Thunderbird when choosing Options in the Add-ons manager.
- Changed: extension icon
- Fixed: issue in pref panel (
windows.arguments has no property)
- Fixed: spinner upgrade (was broken by bug 155053 landing)
- Fixed: a small broadcaster issue.
- Changed: allow a greater maximum pixel sensitivity: now it's 99px.
- Added: SeaMonkey support (tested on SeaMonkey 1.0.2). Thanks to Philip Chee
- Fixed: a small pref observer bug
- Added: a control in the prefs window to modify hovertime pref
- Added: sr-Yu locale.
- Fixed: Bug when hovering the sensitive zone: a sort of "race" condition was occurring causing problem
to show the status-bar (status-bar was continuously shown/hidden in a cycle)
- Added: Now the status-bar is only shown back if the
sensitive zone is hovered for
more than xxx milliseconds (default: 500). The value of xxx could be customized by changing
the extensions.autohidestatusbar.hovertime preference's value
- Added: es-AR locale.
- Fixed: about dialog was broken by some recent changes mozapps's about.css (Minefield 3.0a1)
- Fixed: "Show status-bar icon" was not always disabled when it should be.
- Bumped Thunderbird maxVersion to 3.0+ (tested on Thunderbird/3.0a1 ID:2006042405)
- Fixed: crash when clicking "Debug log" in prefs on Firefox (Minefield 3.0a1)
- Upgraded spinner to v0.3.1 (Fix a tooltip problem on Linux)
- Added: spinner tooltip localization
- Fixed: problems remembering to not show the icon in the status bar
- Fixed: const conflict with Update Notifier
- Added: drag and drop support to status-bar icon, you can now move it
- Added: right-click on toolbar/status-bar icons now open the preference dialog
- Added: nl-NL locale
- Fixed: a problem in the pref dialog (disabled element badly re-enabled in some case)
- Changed: toolbar/status-bar icons to and
- Fixed: potential memory leak (missing removeObserver for download observer)
- Fixed: bug in log window (save button was saving even if disabled)
- Fixed: incorrect minVersion for Flock (install.rdf)
- Code cleaning (use of
this keyword, rewrite with use of
- Code optimization + documentation
- Added a pref observer and 2 broadcasters to the main overlay (FF)
- Image in prefs dialog use CSS
list-style-image property now
- Made a custom about dialog (based on standard Firefox one, thanks to Ben Goodger)
- Code changes to handle future deprecation of Components.reportError()
- Added locale: da-DK
- Upgraded spinners to v0.3
- Bumped <em:maxVersion> to 3.0+ and tested on Bon Echo Alpha 1
- Fixed: tooltip and stringbundle misplacement. Thanks to Jochen for pointing this
- Fixed a bug in Thunderbird (after canceling customize toolbar dialog toolbar icon was wrong)
- Added locale: zh-TW, ru-RU (thanks to Sergeys), cs-CZ
- Code cleaning
log saving code to the XPCOM component
- Added some locales (sk-SK, ko-KR and pt-BR)
- Replaced preferences dialog textboxes with spinners (provides input validation & bounds control)
- Added experimental support for Flock (tested on Flock 0.5pre)
- Toolbar icon bug fixed (bad state after toolbar customization)
- Fixed a bug in prefwindow with Thunderbird (sometimes dialog had bad size)
v0.3.3 (not released)
- Fixed contributor list (Japanese translator's name was wrong)
- Added some locales (de-DE, tr-TR and zh-CN) ; Thanks to BabelZilla's translators
- Bug-fix: size of the <prefwindow> was sometimes wrong
(Bug 283697 ?)
- Bug-fix: infinite reload on some site (e.g. HSBC)
- Roll-back of 0.2.9.1 changes because addons.mozilla.org doesn't allow external update URL
- Merged FF and TB
chrome/content files, now there is only one jar
- Minor changes in install.rdf required by addons.mozilla.org
- Added some locales (it-IT, ja-JA and es-ES)
- Added translators as contributors
- Bug-fix: permanent hiding was not effective on start
- Now Firefox and Thunderbird use same locales and skin files
- Fixed and localized extension description
- Fixed toolbar button or status-bar icon click when multiple windows exists
- Added Thunderbird bookmarks manager support
- Added toolbar button and status-bar icon on Thunderbird
- Added custom debug log component on Thunderbird
- Bug-fix release (0.2.6 had a problem with application skin)
- Brought back Thunderbird support (actually minimal functionalities, tested on 1.5RC1)
- Added optional one-click enable/disable toolbar button and status-bar icon.
(Usage: see this FAQ entry for the
toolbar button and autoHideStatusbar preferences dialog for the status-bar icon)
- Now debug log can be cleared
- Log dialog now shows the memory used by debug messages
- Changed save log method, save dialog now wants a filename and not a directory
- Now use a custom log service* (no more debug message in JSconsole)
- Debug log can now be saved (as html)
- Fixed some bugs (CTRL key problem when “mousing”-out a link, timer problems, ...)
*Beware new log system store messages in memory with no limits, and debug messages are destroyed
only when browser terminates, so be aware that enabling debug mode could have a huge memory cost
(especially if you restart your browser once a week)
- Bug-fix release (0.2.1 had timer problem)
- Now showing back status-bar on page load is optional
- New options controlling “showing back status-bar on link hover”
- only if is down
- only if link is hovered during a defined time
- New option: showing back status-bar on link hover only if link hovered during a
- Re-factored preferences dialog
- Fixed: problem when hovering <a href="..."><img src="..."></a>
- Bug-fix release (0.1.9 preferences were leaked)
- Added support of DownloadStatusbar mini-bar (status-bar is shown when a download start)
- Now use
moz-collapsed attribute (preparation to full-screen support)
- Changed update url
No more Thunderbird support last supported version:
- Removed the hbox that was used as sensitive zone (no more lost pixels)
- Added a preference to control sensitivity (default: 5px)
- Code / debug-message cleaning
- Fixed some bugs (status-bar hiding during load, ...)
- Added a preference to control whether status-bar is shown when hovering a link
- Created homepage
- Added update support
- Removed delay for auto-hide, now it use the mouse position
- Now the status-bar is shown when hovering a link
- Added experimental support of Thunderbird (tested on 1.5beta2)
- Added localization (en-US, fr-FR)
- Corrected the preferences dialog text (there was two times
- Corrected XML error on XUL files
- Sensitivity to 2 px
- Auto-hide with a timeout (3 sec by default)
- Re-factored preferences dialog
- Code cleaning
- added MPL boilerplate to files
You can contact me by email here:
There is a discussion thread
on Mozillazine forum too.